Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Grateful for my husband and filled with sorrow

I dislike huskies. Our neighbors husky bit me in New York and almost bit Sonia. They seem nice. They are fluffy and act like puppies but they are unpredictable and bite with no warning. People tend to forget how closely they are related to wolves. Last night we took Mischa to a local off leash dog park. Two men and a women came in with a white husky. They didn't do much about controlling their dog until it was too late and Mischa was torn apart. We rushed him to the local animal emergency hospital. His eye all the way to the cornea was sliced and he required immediate surgery to patch up his inner and outer eyelids. The eye itself also suffered damage but we are hoping it will heal. Mischa is back home with us. Sonia kept asking where he was last night and I was missing his snores. Jeremy picked him up after surgery at 4 am.What amazed me was that husky owners didn't show any concern for my dog and claimed that Mischa bit their dog's tongue. I couldn't help but laughed at them wondering if maybe their dog bit himself while slicing my dog's face... white muzzle, mouth and teeth were covered with Mischa's blood. It was almost too much for me to check and inspect for bites this wolfishly looking dog that tried snapping at me. I checked him and no, there was no bites.
Needless to say they refused to pay a hefty medical bill; we are filing in the small claim court today and they will be forced to take responsibility for their dog actions. Thank goodness Jeremy knows what we need to do next!
Good news is that Mischa is recovering fast, he eats, drinks and doesn't like to be left home alone. He still makes very tiny whiny noises and stares in the corner of the room at times. We hope to keep him safe from scratching his stitches and he is scheduled to see a Shar Pei doctor this Friday.

7 comments:

Tamara said...

Poor Mischa. Hope things work out and hope the other dog owners take control of their dog from now on!

Marla said...

Oh that is so sad. Glad you and Sonia are not hurt. Those dog owners didn't know who they were messing with! Glad you are making them be responsible for their actions. It was really nice to talk the other day. Hope to talk to you again soon. :)

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! I hope you take them to the cleaners at court. Ugh.

tawni said...

Awe...will he be able to see again? I'm really glad you guys are taking it to small claims. I would do the same thing. Good luck and keep us posted!

Ashlee said...

So scary...I hope that he is ok! I am sorry that those people didn't take responsibility for their dog. I hope everything works out for you guys and that Mischa will heal.

betsey said...

Poor Mischa! I can't believe how irresponsible some dog owners can be! That just blows me away! Good luck in small claims court. I'm happy that Mischa is feeling okay!

Natalie R. said...

That's so horrible!! Poor Mischa, what an awful thing to have happened. I hope he's recovering well - he's lucky you and Jeremy are taking such good care of him!