Saturday, September 5, 2009

Peaches and pies

Eastern market in DC is the biggest farmer's market in the area with a neighborhood resembling up and coming Park Slope. Close to the capitol young white people are settling down; a few blocks away I would be a bit scared driving after the sun goes down.
At the market there is as much art and crafts as food. Prices are not friendly, not as much variety as I am used to having in New York and there are just not so many good deals.
We found some good Honeycrisp apples, basil, green beans, corn, okra, huge bones for Mischa and sausages for Jeremy.
Best of all was getting free peaches ;-) I asked for some soft peaches I could use for making a pie and a farmer told me "if you dare to pick out those under there, they are free." Yes, I bent over and picked them out of the box!!!!
We made a scrumptious pie for dinner.
Instead of making a nutritious dinner, we had ice cream and pie because it took some time and effort.
It was our first time buying ice cream since we lived in New York. We make our own ice cream in Vita Mix with frozen strawberries and bananas. Sonia couldn't believe the sequence of events. Jeremy was in seventh heaven or surely close to it! I have to add this morning there was nothing left of the peach pie ;-) I should make another one!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Mmmmm, looks delicious!!!

Tamara said...

That's what memories are made of! My kids love it when we do things like that are have dessert for dinner.

Natalie R. said...

Wow, I wish you could send some of that pie up to Hershey!!!