Sunday, September 20, 2009

George Washington's Grist Mill

I left my camera home on Saturday morning when we went biking to the Huntley Meadows. After conquering a huge hill and riding for about six miles, we all felt pretty good about myself ;-) The best part was walking through the wilderness, enjoying fields of yellow and purple flowers and watching Mischa run wild. Sonia found two good mushrooms; she picked them up and carried them most of the way back. We picked some wild flowers and put them in our hair.
I did bring camera to the Grist Mill where a miller talked about how everything works. We looked at a huge water wheel spinning and causing the action.
Corn goes in and gets milled by two huge stones.
Then it comes out and goes through a lengthy process of sorting fine, medium and rough one. A new mill that required only two people to operate cut costs and was huge money maker... the whole process was automated.
We also watched how whiskey was made and on the way back Sonia told papa that we are going to the store to buy some whiskey ;-) I asked her what are we going to do with it. She thought for a minute and said we are going to try it! Oh, Dear! Good heavens... I've got to watch where we take her ;-)
On Sunday Sonia wore her new dress to church. I made it from very pretty corduroy that was 40 percent off at Hancock's Fabrics. It is a first piece of clothing I have ever made and it turned out pretty well. I even got a few compliments in church. It has two pieces for now: a dress and pants. I will also make a matching hair piece. Sonia asked for it Monday morning; it is one of her new favorites ;-) I just might make another one for her and a matching one for myself!

3 comments:

Tamara said...

very cute!

Natalie R. said...

Good job making clothes for Sonia, I'm always impressed with people who can actually make things. I'm so not-crafty!!

Irina said...

It looks great!!!!!I am amazed at how organized you are!!! how do you EVER find time for all this!!?? I am very very impressed1 and inspired ;)
Keep it up! and I hope you still have some time to sleep :)