Monday, April 6, 2009

Sunshine Birthday Celebration

On Friday we kept busy whole morning with going to our music class, picking up Babulya and Larissa and finishing our birthday preparations. We planned to have a party outside but it was snowing that Friday so we moved inside.
I have to brag about making hamburgers the night before ;-) I had a half hour lecture from a local butcher on how to make them and I think we did pretty good job! Everyone at a party seemed to like our burgers and nearly thirty were gone!
Sonia took a big nap and my mom, Larisa, Jeremy and I made last preparations.
Then our guests started to arrive but Sonia was still sleeping. She finally woke and was surprised to see a house full of people and her favorite boons everywhere. Sonia just woke up ;-)
We played table games, sang Little Creek and Imeninu (Russian birthday song with actions and games) with all the kids.

Sonia's second cousin, Kaitlyn, is only six months older and we loved having her and her new sister over. Thanks for coming!

I like this photo ;-) We are playing a game Larissa brought all the way from Russia.

Jeremy had an excellent guard dog to help him with hamburgers. I think it was Jeremy's first independent barbecue and he did a great job!

Then we had an ice cream cake with a sparkling number TWO on it.

Sonia couldn't blow this candle up because it was like a little sparkler... but she loved all the sparking!

I am a bit proud once again because I made this sun cake.

Everything but the ice cream itself ;-) It tasted really good and Sonia was thrilled to find out that it was her favorite "ICE."

She was a little sad when I was cutting her sun cake... Mom, do we really have to share?

Sonia loved it!

Then we opened the presents. Thank you everyone for coming and for such wonderful gifts. Sonia loved the busy book from grandma and grandpa Lambs,

she playes with her little kitchen everyday from Kaitlyn, she loved the handmade woolen bear....

and certainly the toy CD player with Russian kid songs from Larissa,

Kaitlyn has one just like it so she was showing Sonia how to use it ;-)

Thank you, everyone, for coming and making our day so much fun! Oh, yeah at night after taking a bath, we played hide and seek in the bedroom curtains ;-)


I am so glad to have a two year old who gets out of the car seat all by herself now, eats her food with a spoon and comes with me everywhere I go! She truly brings joy and laughter to our little family. Let her light be bright and let us enjoy her company for many more birthdays!!

6 comments:

Tamara said...

So much fun! Aren't kids the greatest?

Jessica said...

That cake is so cute! I love ice cream cakes. I would love to know how you made it. So creative. Was the center a cake and then the outside ice cream?

Nadia said...

It is super easy to make! Top is all ice cream (orange sherbet with dark chocolate) Bottom is a layer of cake... the sun rays are ice cream sugar cones with yellow sugar ;-) Plus frosting, I made home made cake and frosting but you could use anything!

Diana and Scott said...

Happy Birthday, Sonia!!! I love the cake.

Nadia, thank you for your comment and advice. I'm going to try that lotion. You're right about the humidity, it does seem to make all the difference. But moving is not an option at this point. Unfortunately. Maybe one day...

Marina said...

Sonia!Happy Birthday!

Natalie R. said...

I suddenly realized that it was recently Sonia's birthday and ran to your blog to see the pictures! :0) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SONIA!!!!! We wish we were nearby and could've participated - it looks like you had one heck of a party! :0)