Wednesday, May 26, 2010

George Washington and his estate

Love Mount Vernon... things I won't forget:
Cool breeze coming of the Potomac,
Nice tuna-carrot sandwiches,
Big boat beaching and my children watching the river,
Sheep sheared,
Mischa going bazerk,
A story of the English purple uniforms and why it is not always good to wear bright colors (Americans were shooting bright once because they signified higher ranks) At the time there was two ways to get red: One way from the root of a tree and another used a beetle shipped from Mexico to Spain and then to Britain. First being the cheaper way was used by common soldiers. The second was only for the generals. Well, the uniforms did get bleached by the sun retaining its beautiful red color and indicating to the Americans who was who.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Of all the places to go in Washington, Mt. Vernon was my favorite. I loved how beautiful and quiet it was there.

Natalie R. said...

I've only been to Mt. Vernon once, but I've wanted to go back ever since. I'm so glad you had a chance to go with your family!