Friday, August 29, 2008

A week with babulya

My mom spent as much time as she could with Sonia on this trip. They naturally conversed in Russian and Sonia loved her new playmate. She was sad when time for babulya to go home to Utah came.
We went to the beach. My mom says she has not been near the ocean for quite some time now. I saw her swimming for the first time. For those who don't know... it is huge for my mom. I think she learned swimming after turning 50 years old. She always says it was too cold to learn where she was born.
Sonia and mom built sand castles and enjoyed small waves. I like NY beaches so much better than CA. Much more warm water and smaller waves make it so much more enjoyable!
We enjoyed the sand, there were many foot prints left from Sonia's little feet.
On Tuesday we went to Metropolitan museum and left my mom there. She stayed till closing time, didn't get lost on the subway on her way back and came home with a happy smile. We are on the steps to the Met.
After a day at the Museum of Modern Art, my mom said the collection was delightful. She liked it.
The shopping at the Canal street was fun. Then we took the Staten Island ferry and saw Manhattan skyline and statue of Liberty. On the right is my favourite Brooklyn bridge.

There is a funky bull at the North end of Bowling Green. It was dropped off at the Stock exchange one day by an unknown artist. Rubbing this bull brings luck ;-)My mom takes great photos. I love this one with all our little family on the boat with Statue of Liberty in the back.At the end of the week we felt like tourists. We have been to all touristy spots and even managed to see two Broadway shows in one day while mom and Sonia checked out Brooklyn museum. We will miss the city if we have to move!

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

I'm glad you got to see so much, that looks like so much fun!